Replacing a car battery is not a very big task as such. Anyone can perform a battery change without much of a hassle. However, precautions must be taken while performing the same due to harmful chemicals like sulphuric acid and the likes.So here are the steps that you can follow to change a car battery on your own:
1. Make sure that you will be working in a safe environment, away from sparks and any kind of flames. The car should be on a level surface.Always remember to put the parking brake on.
2. Wear safety gloves and goggles as the sulphuric acid electrolyte solution can burn your hands. It also produces a flammable gas.
3. Check you car manual to see what all electronic settings will be reset in the car. Settings tend to get affected when the battery is disconnected. A memory keeper can help in keeping all your data intact.
4. After you pop open the hood, make sure you fit the prop rod to keep it open safely.
5. Remove the negative terminal of the old battery first with the help of a wrench and slide it off the terminal.
6. Disconnect the positive terminal next in the same manner.
7. Remove the battery holder and any other screws and clamps that are holding the battery in the tray.
8. Take out the battery and make sure you have a helping hand as batteries tend to be a bit heavy for one person.
9. Clean the battery tray and the terminal clamps with a brush and anti-corrosive fluid.
10. Put the new battery inside the car with the same terminal (positive and negative) positions as the previous battery.
11. Connect the positive terminal first, tighten the clamp and apply some grease to prevent corrosion. Reconnect the negative terminal similarly.
12.Close the hood and start your car. Make sure all the electronic devices are working properly. If allâ€™s well, then your done!