How To Recycle Your Car Battery
Published On 2019-11-28 09:15:42 433 views
99 percent of a lead-acid battery is recyclable, it also reduces the need to use new raw materials and components
Every year, an approximated 1.8 million old batteries are not being recycled. When a lead-acid battery is not correctly recycled, lead, mercury and acid get deposited into streams, lakes and landfills that in return harms the nature. According to the law, car batteries should not be dumped off with household waste. Instead, you can recycle them as ninety-five per cent of lead-acid car batteries are reused. Usually, automotive retailers offer credit for your old battery when you buy a new one.
Process of recycling a battery
- At first, the old cells are obtained from drop-off points and sent to recycling centres.
- At the recycling centres, the lead is moved apart from the polypropylene, which is nothing but the plastic case, and stuffed into a furnace to be melted down.
- The lead is then resued by installing them into the new polypropylene. The used polypropylene is cleaned and also recycled. Every component is used in the process of recycling an old battery.
- The process includes the treatment of the acid, which is later neutralized.
Recommended Read:Read this to know when your car would need a new battery
If you are still not convinced to drop off your old batteries then, here are some of the benefits of recycling your old batteries:
- It reduces the quantity of waste that are sent to landfills.
- It helps in the conservation of natural resources like metals and minerals.
- Recycling old batteries aids in limiting pollution by decreasing the requirement of gathering new, raw materials.
- It helps in decreasing greenhouse gas emissions as such gases lead to fluctuations in the global climate.
- This process aids in generating new and well-paying jobs in the recycling and manufacturing industries that will reduce the rate of unemployment of the country.
- Materials can be reused once they are recycled. In addition to that, they can be even used for manufacturing new batteries.
- If heavy metals are kept out of the landfill, then they will be prevented from responding to rainwater that drains into the landfill developing a toxic soup that can contaminate the groundwater supply.
- Lastly, it helps to save and sustain the environment for the upcoming generations.
Recycling gives profit to everyone. It facilitates the reuse of elements that would otherwise be abandoned. It will help to sustain our environment and planet by promoting “take, make and reuse.” The brand-new automobile batteries are manufactured by utilizing 80 per cent of the recycled materials from your old batteries. When you send your old battery to get recycled, you are not only gaining credits for a new battery but also helping encourage sustainability and the effective use of resources. So, you should start recycling your used vehicle battery from today to perform your bit to help eradicate safety risks in your community.